Thursday, December 24, 2009

Spring & Spring by Example


I've been working a lot on getting Spring by Example updated for Spring 3.0. A Simple Grails Webapp was also added to this release.

Almost everything is upgraded except for the AspectJ LTW example, GWT ones, and OSGi. The AspectJ one, I've had an odd problem that I've updated everything to use the Spring Repository, but when I change it to from Spring 2.5.6 to 3.0, the weaving stops working. No errors and no success resolving the issues, but I will keep working on it. I had trouble with the GWT webapps too, but I think it's mainly build related. I'll probably start over with a new project using GWT 2.0 and build the examples back up. For the Spring dm Server (OSGi) ones, I just haven't had time. I don't think there will be a problem upgrading them.

Everything is versioned on the site, so all past site releases and examples are available (Spring by Example 2.5.x, which is version 1.0.3). Just follow the subversion instructions at the end of the examples to checkout the correct version of the project the example describes. If you're ever not sure what version of something the example uses, check the 'Project Information' section at the end of the example and/or the Maven POM.

I have a Spring Roo example in progress that is the basis for a simple person and address example. Ideally I'd like to even use Roo to replace many of the webapp examples and/or have as much of them generated as possible. I'd also like to spend time redoing the web services add-ons for Roo and get them into a releasable state, but I just haven't had the time. I'm hoping it will fit in with a future project soon, so maybe it will get done.

I also plan on getting SpEL, REST, and some other examples together for the website. I've also done a lot of Flex work over the last year, so I'd really like to do some more advanced Flex examples and especially a basic messaging example and security example.

No comments: